Register now for immediate access to this program.Register Now
$25 for New Lawyers
$15 for MAJ Paralegal
$0 for Member CLE Benefits
$0 for Passport CLE
July 29, 2020
Minnesota Association for Justice
Ethics, Free for Member Benefits/CLE Passport/Subscription
Duration: 60 Minutes
This presentation will provide an overview of the unique ethical considerations that arise when representing vulnerable adults, seniors, and clients with diminished capacity.
Topics to Include:
• Identifying your Client: Who is your client? Does the client have the capacity to retain you?
• Conflicts of Interest: How do you handle disputes between a client with diminished capacity and legal representative?
• Attorney-Client Privilege: Does ACP attach to discussions with legal representative?
• Scope of Representation: When can the attorney-client relationship be terminated? When should it be terminated?
• Considerations Unique to Vulnerable Adults: When does the Court need to be involved in the approval of a settlement? How can a guardian or conservator impact your representation and a client’s claim? How will a client’s Medicaid eligibility be impacted by a settlement?
• Duties to Client: What duties do you have to your clients with diminished capacity? How do you maintain a normal client-lawyer relationship?
• Plus- Hypotheticals!
Program Titles and Supporting Materials
This program contains the following components:
If applicable, you may obtain credit in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously for this program (see pending/approved list below). If electing credit for this program, registrants in jurisdictions not listed below will receive a Certificate of Completion that may or may not meet credit requirements in other jurisdictions. Where applicable, credit will be only awarded to a paid registrant completing all the requirements of the program as determined by the selected accreditation authority.
How to Attend
Join the self-paced program from your office, home, or hotel room using a computer and high speed internet connection. You may start and stop the program at your convenience, continue where you left off, and review supporting materials as often as you like. Please note: Internet Explorer is no longer a supported browser. We recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari for best results.
You may access this course on a computer or mobile device with high speed internet (iPhones require iOS 10 or higher). Recommended browsers are Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.